Friday, October 23, 2009

Method 6

YouTube is truly transformative. There is not a day that goes by that a friend or relative doesn’t send me a YouTube video of something fun to see. Have you seen this one? Great Chinese State Circus - Swan Lake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMc-p19FIk

In the Spring, my nephew sent out a very creative YouTube video inviting his many adoring relatives to help send him to London for a special class in his field of specialization. It worked – with cash and ticket in hand he went for his creative marketing class.

Round Rock Public Library’s "Sail Away with Books Reading Program" was so much fun to watch and so creative it made me wish for a job in a public library with wacky and fun staff. I am in a one-librarian shop so I will have to settle for enthusiastic, virtual staff members to populate my video. Both of the other two videos were equally charming and gave me some ideas.

I thought I might bypass the skins but decided to explore instead and came away with 3 that I plan to “try on”. My favs were “Diamonds”, for a glam look; “Tropicana” for a refreshing look; and “Paparazzi” to give something the red carpet treatment – maybe a new book or database to announce! Why the heck not!

The channels showcased ,The Library of Congress , The American Library Association, and The New York Public Library were new to me and I will be exploring those on Saturday.
Teachertube did not load for me so I decided to explore the Education channel at YouTube to see what is available. Bummer…my own educational institution does not have a Channel of its own…yet. A fun, informative channel was the CIA – Culinary Institute of America –Boot Camp Holiday Tips – http://www.youtube.com/user/CIANetwork#p/a/C0FAC741C4B287D1/0/2HGNEUhlbgQ
The one for Halloween Punch was clever. http://www.youtube.com/user/CIANetwork#p/a/C0FAC741C4B287D1/1/SB8xk8LHcnE

The concept of the “Participatory community” discussed by Dr. Michael Wesch, Assistant Professor of Cultural Anthropology at Kansas State University in his lecture, An Anthropological Introduction to YouTube is very exciting. It is so much fun to see how concepts can take off and assume a life of their own.

Note to Santa: I want a new camera that can post video to YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment