Thursday, September 10, 2009

Methods 1 and 2

Steven Abrams made some excellent points about time management in learning new skills.

I find the equipment for learning sometimes a challenge. Ipods, Blackberry, Palms, tablets, etc. Purchase of these digital doodads and their support may not be provided in our libraries, especially smaller or state libraries. We may find our own personal equipment out of date to support the latest versions of the software. In some cases, certain web technologies may be blocked from our campuses due to security issues. For example, Meebo and Flick’r were banned from a previous campus where I worked.

But what I have found is that if I explore about 3 technologies at a time, it is more manageable for me. Using them for a personal application helps with motivation to gain skill and to contemplate additional applications perhaps with my colleagues, campus or students. For example using an Ipod Touch with iTunes allows me to explore the use of uploading and managing my photos (want to see photos of my son’s wedding?); downloading music for my choir rehearsal; checking my email while out at lunch in a place that offers free WIFI.
In some cases, the web based technology was too time-consuming or difficult to follow. I found the Sakai Wiki too hard to master. There are so many types of wikis, I just looked for another that met my needs and skill level.

No comments:

Post a Comment